Thursday, October 16, 2008

Big Controversy!!! Weaving or Knitting? Social, Political or Physical Dilemna?


So as some of you may know I have taken up a thing called knitting. This practice was pretty foreign to me-yes I have heard of people performing this so called hobby but I just assumed it was for some weird cult;) So at the persistant request of my host mom I went to the store, bought some needles, what I thought was 'cool' yarn and headed back to Kehlen to learn the ancient 70's practice(who knows if it originated int he 70's but Im trying to be creative here ok?) of knitting. Before adding this tool to my shep, I had high hopes and had often heard from everyone that 'It is easy!!!' 'You will have no problem with it!' Well that did not turn out to be the case. On the contrary, I think God left out the knitting gene when I was made because I just couldnt get it. I even took to YouTube knitting classes and still couldnt knit a line! I sincerely felt sorry for my host mother because she was trying so hard to show me and I for the life of me just couldnt do seem to figure it out. We both laughed a lot because it was truly hysterical!!

Moving on to a knew art-This week I was asked to learn how to weave. I went with my host mom's friend, Josey, to an old barn about 7km from Kehlen to learn to weave. Now before learning to weave, I have to admit I wasnt quite exactly sure what weaving is or was. My first thought was that it was something really old people do, to keep busy, and I also assumed it had to do with fabric and string and was kinda like sewing. When I walked in-I saw two huge, wooden machines layered with string and I thought to myslef 'How am I ever going to do this?' Hours in, I realized that I actually enjoyed weaving and now prefer it to knitting-pretty much because I think its easier-but I would still like to learn to knit. I currently have homework from Josey to finish my weaving project, I have an At-Home weaver(?), and then next week she will take me to learn how to make felt? Stay tuned:)

Things I Have Learned/Noticed from my Time Here in Luxembourg-

There is NO overtime for sporting games
People here share my love of cheese and respect my fondness of it
Luxembourgers open up Christmas presents on Dec. 6th
Fathers Day in in October
You do not say Cow 'tits' its teets'(please note this in a previous blog I have written)
In high school students have to buy their own books
Sports are seperate from the school
High school ends in the 13th grade
The 4 B's are in: Bangs, Boots, Belts and Bags
Open the door...Close the door
Cheese is cheap here
When you begin work the average worker gets at least 30 days holiday, that's 6 weeks!
The average Luxembourger knows 4 languages: Luxembourgish, French, Deutch and English

Thats all for now-tomorrow I go to Belgium to a town near the North Sea!

1 comment:

KellieBetty said...

you use a loom for weaving. I crochet I'll teach you on the plane, its easy;) I actually am trying to teach some people here, its pretty cool. Good luck with knitting, I've never tried it.

loom- weaving
hook- crochet
needles- knitting