Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Countdown Begins (18 days left in Europe)

I cant believe I only have 2 more weeks left in Luxembourg. Today, I move from my second host family, Family Albers, to my new host family- Family Santos. I have seen and done so much since being in Boulaide/Blauschette. My first week I went with my host sister, Carmen, to visit Wendy, her sister, in Wageningen, Netherlands. It was about a 3 hour or so car ride driving through luxembourg, Belugium and then entering the Netherlands and getting quite close to Amsterdam zhich was only about 100 km (roughly 50 miles) away. It seems so strange to have driven in 3 countries in 3 hours!! The next weekend I shared with the entire Albers Family celebrating Allehanjen which was wroten about in a prior blog. My days here I also was fortuante enough to go to Bastonge & Brussels, Belugium, and Bourshied Chateau. I really do love Luxembourg!! The scenery is breathtaking! Interesting differences: Breakfast and dinner are usually always bread or a roll of some sort with an arrangement of spreads-jam, nutella, honey, cheese, salami, etc. These two meals are sometimes eaten on small cutting boards. Lunch is the warm meal and usually includes meat, potatoes and veggies. Interesting and yummy meals that I have had is pumpkin soup with crepes(crepes are filled with sugar inside), quiche lorraine, goat cheees wrapped in bacon served over a bed of mixed greans and applesauce and pasta. Usually after lunch you have coffee and a dessert such as a cookie or a cake. Most to all cars are automatic. Children and teens attend school until the 13th class. There are different routes that can be taken in school. Lycee is the route if you would like to attend a university after college. There is another school that is the more technical route but you can still go to a university if you would like. Then there is a school that ends when you are 16 and then you can get a job. Music is an important art to learn and most learn an instrument and practice on a regular basis. Music does not end when you are out of school and adults can play right alongside their children and others. Juices and milk cole in 1 liter portions-not higher.(Note: 1 liter=about 1 quart). Im sure there are more but thats all for now!! Stay tuned-This weekend I go to romantic Paris!!

No comments: